KILIMANJARO CLIMB STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES FOR COVID-19 SAFETY
On the bases of the World Health Organization (WHO), Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDEC) and the MNRT COVID-19 Stand Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Tanzania National Parks (TANAPA) has customized specific COVID-19 standard operating procedures that will guide service provisions in the national parks. The procedures provide a framework for operations during the unprecedented times of COVID-19 pandemic.
These guidelines will be updated as the COVID-19 situation progresses in conformity with the measures provided by the MoHCDEC.
The protocols will help to control the spread of COVID-19 pandemic and therefore protecting staff, visitors, other park users, along with ensuring a safe working environment.
THE BELOW ARE OUR STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES FOR OUR ETHICAL KILIMANJARO CLIMB
- All our Mountain crews have been given Covid-19 safety training to ensure our client safety during the trek.
- We will brief all our Mountain crew, in advance of meeting the trekkers, to ensure all procedures are understood and will be complied with.
- Our guidelines are to protect both our client and our mountain crew.
TEMPERATURE CHECK DURING CLIMB
- We will do temperature check for twice a day for both our clients and our Mountain Crew.
- Our Mountain Crew will wear Mask during climb.
- Masks are not to be worn while trekking. They should be worn in camp and when near other individuals such as the gate, weighing scales, etc.
- Our guides will wear a mask during briefing/ interpretation or when interact with the client.
- We make sure our clients and Mountain Crew to regular handwashing throughout the climb.
- We will provide a separate handwashing station for our client and our mountain crew.
- The kitchen will have its own separate handwashing station.
- We will provide hand sanitizer at higher camps where temperatures are too cold for water.
- We will have “Covid Porter” who will be responsible for regular cleaning.
- Social distance guideline of 1.5 meters will be maintained.
- Only guides, waiter and personal porters should interact with clients while maintaining a distance.
- Our Mountain crew will avoid interacting with the crew of other companies.
- Our Mountain Crew will avoid unnecessary movements and gatherings (neither singing nor playing games).
- All equipment will be sterilized/disinfected before issuing to mountain crew.
- Contact points will be cleaned regularly.
- Any rental equipment including sleeping bag, therma-rest, or cot will be designated to you throughout the climb.
BAGS AND LUGGAGE
- We will ensure that luggage is packed inside the sterilized rubberized kitbags.
- All Luggage will be sprayed with a sterilization solution before weighing.
- There will be one porter who will be responsible for the client bags.
SLEEPING ACCOMMODATIONS ON MOUNTAIN
- We will avoid overcrowding in sleeping tents of the porters and guides in camping route.
- Our porters will maintain a social distance of 1.5 meters from one another when in huts.
FOOD AND DINING
- The food items will not be mixed with other equipment and all utensils, cups, etc will continue to be sanitized throughout the climb.
- Only mountain cook and waiter will handle food; no other members of the crew are permitted in the kitchen tent at any time.
- Meals can be eaten outdoors or in your tent, upon request; for private groups or smaller scheduled groups, a dining tent is available for private or socially distant meals.
- Our Porters will have separate transport than clients for remote Route (Lemosho, Rongai and Marangu Routes).
- Our Transport vehicles will be cleaned in advance before our client and the Mountain crew boarding them.
- We will provide hand sanitizer so all can wash hands prior to entry into the vehicle.
- All our Mountain crew will wear Masks when in transport.
DURING YOUR CLIMB
- While out on the trail, social distancing will be maintained, and you may choose not to wear a mask in the fresh air. This is a personal decision.
- You must wear a mask when interacting with the guide or crew at camp. You may occasionally be reminded to keep socially distant or don your mask in areas where mandated by the Tanzanian government or requested by your guide.
Remember that this is your once-in-a-lifetime trek. Simple, common-sense practices implemented by both guests and Mountain crew will help everyone feel at ease –without intruding on your enjoyment of this awesome-inspiring experience!!
TANZANIA AWARDED SAFE TRAVELS STAMP FROM WORLD TRAVEL COUNCIL.
WE WELCOME ALL CLIENTS AROUND THE WORLD TO VISIT TANZANIA.